February 11, 2013

Religious Spots in Cebu: The Most-Visited Churches


Cebu is now the “Manila of the Visayas” as most people would say. Why? This is probably because this provincial region has now become more modernized --- more business establishments, recreational opportunities, technological advancements, and many more. Apart from this, Cebu is now becoming a hot destination to many tourists. I guess one of the reasons would be the modernizations, the scenic tourist spots, as well as the historical landmarks which have become a big part of the Philippine history. Because of these things, I have been so interested about Cebu. Another thing that made me really want to go there is that I speak a language which is considered the main language in the area, the Cebuano. I speak Visayan (or Cebuano), Dumaguete version. My hometown is very close to Cebu but since I studied high school and college in Luzon, I didn’t have the chance to go that nearby town in my entire life until last month, January 2013.

When I reached the place, it made me think that Cebu is like a combination of Dumaguete and Metro Manila. Yet, one thing I noticed, especially around Cebu City is that there are a lot of historical landmarks and churches. And since I was with all women during the trip (Catholic women, to be specific), we have agreed to visit the many churches and/or religious spots in Cebu. It was just great to find out some unique characteristics of each spot.

Basilica Minore Del Sto. Niño


My snapshots of some parts of the church (look at that structure!)




Magellan's Cross (This can be found just few steps from the exit of Basilica Minore. When I saw this in pictures before, I thought it's a wide place. ^^)



Basilica Minore Del Sto. Niño Museum (This is just few steps from the entrance of the church.)

During our first day, this was the first church we visited. One reason may be is that it’s the most well-known and one of the oldest. Aside from that, it was the closest to our hotel (Cebu Business Hotel) located at Colon St. It was just walking distance from the hotel actually. Yet, since we were not familiar with the place by that time, we rode on a multi-cab passenger jeepney [Trivia: passenger jeepneys in Cebu have specific number-letter combination, e.g. 12D, 10E which corresponds to their route and/or point of origin and destination. I was actually surprised to know that! ^_^). When we were back to the hotel later that day we realized that we could just have taken a good dose of walk going there.

Being one of the first churches to be established in the Philippines, it is very noticeable that the style, and structure are kinda old. From outside, you could easily see the traditional (or should I say, old Hispanic?) type of architecture. Inside, you can see different images of some saints but the most renowned there is the image of Sto. Niño. By the way, masses are conducted there form time to time, some are done in Cebuano and some in English. For travelers who cannot speak their language, you may check out http://basilicasantonino.org.ph for schedule of masses so you can attend the English mass. 


Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral


My photography session outside the church! ^_^

This was the last church we went to on our first day in Cebu. It was around 5 or 6 pm when we reached the holy place. Since it was dusk, it was already a little bit dark outside. However, the lighting of this church was really great. In fact I enjoyed taking picture outside the church. The contrast of the little-dark sky and the brightness of the church’s lights compliment well. When I got in the church, I was impressed with how modern and grand it looks, from the structure, to the paint, to the wall decorations, chandelier, and more. Another very notable thing inside is that there are a lot of tarpaulin and pictures of the recently recognized St, Pedro Calungsod.

Simala Shrine (Church of the Miraculous Mary)

The castle-like structure of Simala Shrine...

These are just some of the statues and paintings you can find inside the Shrine...

Stations of the Cross

This church is not close to Cebu city proper where our hotel is located. So, we had to travel to Marian Hills, Sibongan for around 2 to 3 hours by bus (locally, they call it Ceres --- name of a popular bus line). This place is one of the grandest holy places I have been. Upon entering the place, I could already see the castle-like structure of the church. If you’ll take pictures there, it would seem like you are posing near a castle, or probably, you are in some places in Italy. No matter how far it is, still a lot of people flock to the area. Why? Probably, Filipino’s belief on Mama Mary is still very strong. For the non-Catholic visitors, it’s probably because the place is very scenic --- it’s a like a castle in the midst of mountains. When I looked at the church, I couldn’t help but wonder how the church improved this much in just a short span of time. I have read some blogs and saw pictures of the place taken months or few years back and they weren't as scenic as the one I saw.

Inside the church, there are lot of things proving the testimonies of those people who have experienced miracles from Mama Mary. But, what amazed me was the so many figures of different Mary --- Mother Mary of China, Mother Mary of the Bride, Mother Mary of Good Voyage, and many more. The structures of the ceiling (with many artworks as well), the floors, and walls, and the architectural design really defines grandeur.

Taoist Temple

at the entrance of the temple

with my family and relatives...

You might wonder why I included this in the list. Yes, I’m a Catholic but I respect other religions --- their ways of worshiping, and their beliefs. I like the serenity of this place and how the staffs of this place are able to preserve the cleanliness and quietness of the area. If you’ll pray in the main altar, you could really do it with much concentration because people are not allowed to loiter in the place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment